10.23.2008

Hail Highland High . . .

Russ sent me and email today asking if I knew Highland High School and Sugar House Park used to be a Jail? Honestly, what kind of Ram does he think I am? I told him that is why our colors are black and white. And I also like the fact that I talk about it in the present tense, once a Ram always a Ram!
He did send me a really cool picture of the old Jail, and I thought I would share it with my fellow Rams, and anyone else who reads my blog and likes to learn about random Utah trivia.


p.s. my dad just sent me an email with a pretty cool story. i will just copy and paste it below.

"Just read your blog (don't know how to comment there) and thought I'd tell you an interesting little anecdote. Before my mission I worked at a smelter (melted down different kinds of metal and poured them into ingots) and one day we had a ton of old aluminum toilets to melt down. When I asked where in the heck they came from I was told the old Salt Lake City Jail that once stood where Sugarhouse park is now located.

How about that!"
pps. my dad is the cutest!

9 comments:

JD and Lindsay said...

haha, I had no idea. I must be a bad Ram

{littlefam} said...

i always knew it was a jail, but had never seen pictures - thanks for posting!!!

The Speres said...

That is a great picture of the jail! I had never seen an actual pic of it!
And awesome costumes! For the record, I don't think you look like Lucy. I think you definitely look like Annie---I mean, look at that curly hair!

The Harpers said...

Wow that's crazy! My dad went to Highland, so did a bunch of my cousins. My uncle actually teaches there. Did you ever have a Mr. Jorgensen for Science?

Unknown said...

I did know that good old HHS was built on the grounds of an old jail, I had no idea it looked like that. Where did Russ find that picture? PS when are we going to lunch ho?

Sarah M said...

i wish they never torn it down. how cool would it have been if it looked like that while we went there?

Teresa said...

I'm with Lindsay, I had no idea! Now I am going to go google crazy over it. :) Good post!

Unknown said...

Lacey! It's Katie (Carter) Tingey- That is a sweet photo- go RAMS! My grandpa grew up in the house that I grew up in- near where Highland now is- and he used to have to walk past the jail to go to school and he said the prisoners would yell stuff from their cells out the barred windows at the kids when they were walking to school- Creeps huh?!- just a interesting tid bit. Hope you are doing well- take care!

Kristie said...

WOW! I had no idea. Love your story. Can't wait to send it to my brother.